Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thesaurus Poetry

The Thesaurus Poem is a bit more difficult to explain, but here's the formula I used to teach it:
Formula:
1. Select a word (emotions work well)
2. List synonyms or antonyms given in the thesaurus.
3. Using these words create a poem around the concept or theme suggested by your collection
4. You must use at least three of the synonyms and your poem must have a controlling idea or image which is maintained throughout the poem.

Example:

Listen
You're not listening to me
You smile and look past me,
I'm ignored, shunned,
taken no notice of,
Yet it's all so polite
and so hard to perceive...
It's funny...
you don't hear me,
but I hear you,
loud and clear.

I think these students really did a good job with this very different type of poem!

Clouds
The wind blows them to and fro
White puffs envelop the green hills
making shadows on the ground,
Looking up at the spotted sky
and seeing shapes form in the air
Cumulus clouds bunch up on the horizon
before the storm,
and then roll and tumble over as they move across the sky
By Cari F

Indifference
by Joelle Simangan
Indignantly standing in the background,
Emotionally detached, unconcerned
Your brow is furrowed, your lips tight
Passively committing the worst sin
One can, towards his fellow beings
Ignoring the calling voices about you
Casually, coolly, you walk away
You call it “insouciance”
We know it’s mere snobbery



Drinking Pleasure
The can is empty
The taste endures
The effervescence lingers
The sweet memory prevails
Dr. Pepper remains #1
By Jacob G

Roses
Budding beautiful blossoms
Fragrant sweet smells
Emotions in living color
Bouquet of floral tidings
Say, “I love you.”
By Elsie L

Winner
The frontrunner crossed the line
The race was over
The people shouted, “Victor! Champ!”
Running up to the winner’s box they announced
He was the prize winner.
By Madison G


Nala
My cat had gone,
a precious life had been lost,
and I would never hold my kitten again.
Never again would my pet come when I called.
The times my kitty and I had spent I would remember forever.
My loving kitty had lived a good life,
and now my loyal friend was in a better place.
By Kali B




Charming
by Kari C.

As she approached me, I found her alluring,
fascinating in every way;
She charmed every one in the room
and captivated me .
But no more did I feel infatuated with
her mysterious beauty
When she walked past me.
Then her light became dimmer and dimmer
until she was merely a faint memory of mine.



Youth
by Kari C.

It was fun all at first
being playful and amusing,
joking around
in harmless ways
good times we have had
too bad our enjoyment didn't last
We've grown up
We can't do those things
We're not kids anymore.


Song
by Christopher S.

The song was alive
Its melody never died
It rang into the heavens
A hymn glorified the Lord on high
The sweet lullaby
The bitter cry
The anthem was never a lie



Racing
by Christopher S.

The rookie was hastening for the win
The final lap would be a dash
The fans cheered as the felt they rush of the cars
Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!
He had to make up for his lost time on pit rode
He hustled to catch the lead car
The white flag waved it would be the last lap to dart to the front
They scurried for position!!!!!!
Checkered flag in the air!!!!!
He did it!!!!!!
After 200 laps of hard racing the rookie was the winner.


Technology
by Brandon B.

The computer can be fast
The processor slow
I need a laptop that lasts
A mainframe in the know
Binary functions throughout my PC
Me at my workstation happy as can be


Party’s Over
by Willy B.

The party was over
The talking ceased
People got up to retire
It was a night
I will never forget
The night had ended
People were reluctant to leave
They left
They departed
There goes the weekend
I waved the guests good-night
As I cleaned up the house before the parents came home.



She was Kind
by Katelyn S.

I thought she was kindhearted
She was affectionate and humble
Knowing that she was being compassionate
She showed it even more with being loving
I saw her hold a child with tender fingertips
While still being merciful with the older kids
One day I asked her why she was so kind
She said, “I am not gracious or humane, it’s
Really God who is working through me
To be considerate to you and others.”


Butterfly
by Katelyn S.

It flutters down, it fans up
It flaps, flickers and it stops
It flitters and hovers, quivers too
I watch it flurry till it shakes some more
Thrilling and twittering is passes by
It vibrates and gives a waver
Then zips on through

1 comment:

Mrs. M's Creative Writers said...

Wonderful fruit from a beautiful mentor. You simply amaze me.
Love Always,
Mr. M